Business & Construction
SLS attorneys represent and advise school districts in all phases of school site acquisition and school construction, including the following:
- Regulatory approvals for school sites
- Real property purchase and sale agreements
- Developer fees and Mello Roos issues
- Eminent domain
- Joint use projects
- Preparation and review of public works bid packets
- Contracts for construction management and architectural services
- Bid disputes
- Prevailing wage issues
- Substitution of contractor issues
- Contractor responsibility issues
- Stop notice enforcement actions
- Contractor terminations
- Surety claims
- Defense of clients in construction disputes ranging from single issue matters to complex multi-party litigation
In addition, SLS Business Practice Group attorneys counsel districts on a wide range of other school business issues, including charter school petitions and facilities issues, review of technology and other contracts, financing arrangements, disposal of surplus real and personal property, and formation of nonprofit educational foundations.
SLS provides clients with a full array of construction documentation, everything from the documents needed to qualify and hire architects, construction managers and other professionals, to a complete set of bid documents which can be customized for your projects, all available through our password-protected client web page. We routinely provide preventative maintenance training in competitive bidding and related issues for administrators, business officers, MOT personnel and other employees with authority to purchase on behalf of districts.
Attorney Alan Harris (Student Issues) handles a variety of general business and contract matters in addition to his work in all facets of student issues.